We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Privacy Policy


Resource type: Article

Social worker

What does a social worker do?

Awaiting content from a ward based social worker


Employment and education

Finances and benefits

Mental health and advocacy


Family and childcare


Why might I need to see a social worker after Intensive Care?Recovery after Intensive Care can take quite some time, which can result in a number of changes to things like living and family arrangements, any benefits you might either be receiving or entitled to and going back to work. Family members often take time off work during your time in hospital and after you get home. It may take some time before you yourself are well enough to return to work (sometimes in a part-time capacity or as part of a gradual process). All of this can cause financial difficulties at a time when you should be concentrating on getting better.

When should I expect to be seen by a social worker?

The social worker generally sees patients only after they've been transferred to the wards. Not everyone will need their help.If you are worried about money or the care of another family member while you're in hospital, ask the nurses to arrange for a social worker to come and see you. You might have to wait a few days. It might help to have a family member or close friend with you.

What kind of help might I be able to get?

 Employment and Support Allowance

Statutory Sick Pay

Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

Attendance Allowance

Carers Allowance

Disability Premiums.

What is involved in the various assessments?


What kind of help can I get after I go home?

Citizens Advice provides telephone, online and face-to-face help.The contact details of your nearest office can be found in the local phonebook or online at www.cas.org.uk

Some voluntary organisations offer small grants to help in certain circumstances.

If you are on certain benefits, you may be able to access a Government Social Fund. Contact the Benefit Enquiry Line 0800 882 200 to find out more.